Act for Kids is a for-purpose organisation that delivers evidence-based professional therapy and support services to children and families, who have experienced or are at risk of harm. Established in 1988, we have helped over 170,000 children, young people and families at our 30 centres across Australia.
Through prevention, treatment, research, education and advocacy, we are committed to helping keep kids safe, heal from trauma and lead happy lives.
About the job...
We are seeking an experienced Sexual Abuse Counsellor to join our friendly and professional Sexual Abuse Counselling Services (SACS) team. Through an outreach model, this position will travel to family homes and schools across Brisbane, Gold Coast and the Bayside to provide support to parents and carers who have children displaying early problematic or sexually reactive behaviors.
This position is part-time (0.6FTE), fixed term until 30 September 2024. Extension of employment contract beyond September 2024 is subject to the continued successful government funding of the program.
Using trauma-focused and cognitive behavioral therapy, you will empower children to regain their physical and emotional space, as well as their confidence and the ability to act protectively.
- Maintain a regular case load of individual clients.
- Provide consistent and comprehensive approach to the assessment of the child or young person’s needs which considers the child or young person’s development stage and identified goals.
- Deliver comprehensive pre and post assessments.
- Identify and work toward client goals and achieve successful case outcomes for clients.
- Regularly attend and participate in specialist therapy peer case reviews, supervision and other case discussions as required.
- Maintain and develop your professional skills, through supervision and professional development activities.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline (psychology, social work, allied health).
- At least two years delivering cognitive behavioural therapy and/or trauma-focused counselling working with children and young people who have experienced abuse.
- Demonstrated experience delivering comprehensive sexual abuse counselling to children and young people.
- Ability to engage and deliver strengths-based support and counselling methods to children and young people.
- A demonstrated understanding of current sexual abuse treatment including methods, trends and research evidence.
- An understanding of the Queensland child protection system, legislation and policy reforms.
- An ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team.
- Well-developed communication, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
With over 30% of our employees identifying as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, we encourage and welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
About the pay...
- Position is classified Level 6.1 – 6.3 under the SCHCADS award;
- Salary range is $92,704 - $96,805 plus 9.5% superannuation (pro-rata for part-time);
- In addition, as a registered Not for Profit/Charity, we offer excellent salary packaging options through RemServ which can significantly increase your take home pay.
About the benefits...
- Overall winner of HRD Employer of Choice 2019 (100-499 employees)
- Winner of HRD Employer of Choice 2019 in (1) Health & Wellbeing (2) Leadership (3) Work-Life Balance
- Strong values based organisation
- Excellent professional development options (including annual professional development fund opportunities)
- Paid parental leave and study assistance
- Employee Assistance Program including Health & Well-being Portal
- Excellent family friendly and flexible work environment.
Blue Card Requirement
From 31 August 2020, you are required to have a current blue card to commence employment at Act for Kids in Queensland. Please visit Queensland Blue cards for more information.
From 16 Dec 21 it will be a mandatory requirement of employment at Act for Kids that you are and remain fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Please note proof of vaccination will be required as a pre-commencement document.
Click on ‘Apply for this job’ to submit an application or for more information about the role, contact Tracy Smyth on 0429 792 444 or Tracy.Smyth@actforkids.com.au
Click here to see a full copy of the position description.
Closing Date: 12 December 2021