- Professional Membership Association: National Voice for Social Justice
- Key leadership role
- Full time ongoing
The Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) is the professional representative body of social workers in Australia, with more than 14,000 members. AASW sets the benchmarks for professional education and practice in social work and have a strong voice on matters of social justice, human rights and issues that impact upon the quality of life of all Australians.
This newly created role has a key focus to provide high level support and advice to the Chief Executive Officer and represent the AASW as required in the CEO’s absence. Reporting directly to the CEO, this role will support and implement the objectives and policies of the Australian Association of Social Workers.
You will be an experienced and inclusive leader who has demonstrated success in driving sustainable organisational and cultural transformation which has achieved positive change. Your leadership will have created measurable influence and increased organisational capacity.
Critical to success will be your capacity to build collaborative and productive working relationships across the Association providing leadership and day-to-day support to the operational teams and Officeholders.
Your key responsibilities will include the following:
- Deputise for the CEO in their absence and support the CEO in the day-to-day management of the AASW and at Board meetings
- Facilitate regular report preparation to the CEO
- Assist the CEO to lead high level stakeholder engagement
- Provide leadership to the Executive Leadership Team meetings
- Support the culture of a cohesive team and positive work environment
- Support the work of the Board and other committees and attend meetings and prepare regular reports
- Support the work of the National Research Committee
- Lead and assist with the implementation of high-level organisational functions such as strategic planning, policy development and organisational change processes
- Assist with the development and auditing of AASW policies and procedures
- Negotiate memorandums of understanding with external stakeholders
- In consultation with the CEO, ensure that the Association meets its legal and statutory obligations.
- Provide assistance in the development and management of funding contracts and new funding from available sources.
- Grow business opportunities of the Association through increasing external grants and funding opportunities
- Project management of nominated projects
Please refer to the position description for a full list of duties and responsibilities.
Key selection criteria:
Qualifications & Experience
- Tertiary qualification in Social Work
- 6+ years senior leadership experience
Vision & Strategic Agility
- Ability to create and communicate a compelling and inspiring sense of purpose, thriving on change and adapting to new environments or conditions quickly
- Demonstrated experience in an executive leadership role within a dynamic environment, achieving strategic plans through development and implementation of innovative solutions
- Will be knowledgeable and have sound understanding of industry trends, practises and policies affecting corporate governance of the organisation as well as the Association’s legislation, regulations and protocols including WHS, EEO and privacy
- Experience at delivering sound financial management and operational excellence as well as working as a key advisor to Board
- Experience in developing and implementing corporate strategy and business planning processes and managing budgets
Builds & Develops Effective Teams
- Ability to effectively lead and manage a senior team and integrate new people into the business
- Ability to empower senior team whilst providing appropriate level of supervision
- Can create a collaborative environment amongst team and volunteer groups
Member/ Stakeholder Focus
- Will have an understanding of member/stakeholder needs, interests and concerns
- Demonstrate a proven member centric approach that delivers value propositions
- Ability to build valued partnerships with education, industry and government groups through engagement and advocacy
Communicator & Motivator
- Ability to relate to all types of people, building constructive and long-term relationships
- Be persuasive and able to energise, inspire and influence others
- Ability to operate as lead representative/ principle advocate on behalf of the organisation
- Significant experience in the use of social media / multimedia platforms / tools as part of a strategic focussed media agenda
- Extensive experience in crafting succinct and lucid reports / formal submissions
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word, MS TEAMS, Google Analytics, Salesforce
- Willingness to travel overnight intra-state and interstate travel
- Current motor vehicle driver’s licence
- Willingness to attend out of hours meetings
- MBA or advanced degree in Business or related field
- Excellent network of influential contacts at local and national level
- Proven experience in project management including briefing, reporting, interpersonal skills & time management
- Extensive list of industry contacts
- Experience of reporting to and advising volunteer Boards/Steering Committees/Expert Panels
The AASW is committed to equal opportunities in employment and embraces diversity and inclusion in its workforce. We encourage applications from culturally and ethnically diverse communities, particularly those underrepresented in the social work profession including the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and people with a disability.
To be considered for this role, your application must include your résumé and a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria listed above.
For more information please email Cindy Smith, CEO email@example.com
Applications close 5pm 12 August 2021.