Defence Social Worker
APS Level 6
$82,282 - $93,993 (plus super)
Townsville - QLD
Defence Social Workers deliver a broad range of support services and programs to Defence members and families, and a range of critical assessments to assist Commanders in making decisions that impact Defence families and Defence capability.
Defence Social Workers:
• Conduct quality assessments and write reports to assist in decision making processes;
• Provide complex social work services in a generalist practice framework, including comprehensive assessments, bereavement support, brief intervention and referrals to enhance the social functioning of Australian Defence Force personnel and their families.
• Provide support to Defence families to manage the military lifestyle;
• Provide training to Defence members and Command, and psychosocial programs to Defence families;
• Assist Defence families engage with their communities and local services;
• Deliver DCO's suite of national programs in relation to partner employment, education and critical incidents to Defence families; and
• Develop strong community links between the wider Australian community, Defence families, and the Defence organisation.
About our Team
Defence Community Organisation (DCO), soon to be renamed Defence Member and Family Support Branch, offers a broad range of programs and services to help Commanders, Australian Defence Force members and their families manage the military lifestyle. The Defence Social Worker based in Townsville will work collaboratively within a dynamic multi-disciplinary team comprising of Military Support Officers, Defence Social Workers, a Family Liaison Officer, an Educational Liaison Officer, a Business Support Officer, and local Transition staff.
Our Ideal Candidate
You will demonstrate strong assessment, counselling, case planning, report writing and community capacity building knowledge and skills. You will possess the ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams and be part of an organisation where professionalism, innovation and the ability to find creative solutions to challenges is highly regarded.
The ideal candidate for this role:
• Applies professional expertise in social work;
• Operates within the boundaries of organisational processes and policies to provide brief interventions, critical incident management, psychosocial assessments and social work reports;
• Uses judgement to identify and resolve problems objectively;
• Builds and sustains positive relationships with team members, stakeholders and clients;
• Possesses strong stakeholder engagement skills; and
• Possesses an ability to work independently, manage competing priorities and meet deadlines.
Application Closing Date: Sunday 27 June, 2021
For further information please review the job information pack, reference DPG/02617/21, on https://defencecareers.nga.net.au/?jati=2E2119E7-5366-E5D5-C7B2-BF8C44546EEF.